I can learn from them and that enriches me as a human being. 🙂 And having all these fun holidays to celebrate? What could be more fun, more inspiring and creativity-inducing!? 🙂 🙂 🙂And today I was very much inspired to make something Irish! Such as this Super-Healthy Irish Whiskey Potato Cake with The Irish Whiskey Ganache!
Here’re a few facts about this cake…
- It’s super-healthy, low-calorie, paleo and gluten-free (just had to mention all that, sorry for bragging, if I am) 🙂
- It’s made out of potatoes. Yes! Real good-old POTATOES! We all like them mashed on Thanksgiving, right? They’re gooey, flavorful and filling. And they make a perfect base for a low-fat and low-sugar, but super-gooey and fudgy cake! Oh, I just loved digging my fork into it! Soon gooey, indeed!
- Before I had the kids I used to add Irish Whiskey to both the cake and the frosting (which made it non-paleo, unfortunately). But this particular cake is made without any alcohol because otherwise I wouldn’t be able to feed it to the kids. 🙂
- To make my cake even gooier and sweeter without adding too much sugar and fat to it I added some pre-soaked and finely chopped raisins to the dough. Their presence is almost unnoticeable, but I also loved biting into an occasional small peace of a raisin, too! 🙂
Healthy Chocolate Potato Whiskey Cake with Chocolate Whiskey Ganache
The Chocolate Potato Cake is super-gooey and flavorful despite it being low-calorie, low-fat and low-sugar! It's paleo and gluten-free and healthy. Topped with the yummy Chocolate Ganache (low-fat, paleo), it's truly addicting!
For the Cake:
- 2 cups boiled and mashed Russet potatoes without anything else added to them
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil for paleo
- 1 cup regular cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup milk coconut milk for paleo
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Irish Whiskey optional; omit for paleo
For the Ganache
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk or low-fat coconut milk
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate melted
- 1 tbsp Irish Whiskey optional
Soak the raisins in hot water for a few minutes until they are soft. Chop them finely.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Put all the ingredients besides the raisins in the food processor and process until the dough is smooth and incorporated. Add the raisins to the dough and thoroughly stir.
Bake the cake for about 1 hour or until the toothpick inserted in its middle comes out clean (it won't be completely clean because the cake is very gooey. But if it still comes out very wet - let the cake bake for an extra 10 minutes longer).
To make the ganache heat up the milk in a saucepan. Melt the chocolate in the microwave or over the water-bath. Mix the milk and the chocolate and, if you decide to, stir in the Whiskey.
Spread the ganache over the cooled cake and... dig in!