And here is why…
- The sweet potatoes are SO flavorful and their texture is already so gooey that they really don’t need many more ingredients added to them to make a dessert super-yummy! Besides, they also provide all those healthy carbs that we need to consume on the daily basis…
- I had to add some flour to my Blondies, though. But it wasn’t the wheat flour that I needed! It would probably make these bars way too starchy without me having to add an extra source of fat to them. I used the coconut flour instead that not only helped “bind” all the other ingredients. It also added the right amount of healthy fat to my blondies. And we want to have some healthy fats in our desserts. Without them a dessert will not have a truly dessert-like texture…
- At the same time since my Blondies aren’t only made with the otherwise calorie-heavy coconut flour and I barely used any oil for them, I can still rightfully consider them to be on the low-calorie-side!
- Finally, adding this healthy (but fatty compare to the wheat flour, for instance) flour helped me prevent my full of lean protein Blondies (thanks to all the egg whites, my favorite source of lean protein in the recipes) from turning rubbery!
To make my Blondies…
- Sweet without adding too much sugar
- Decadent enough to consider them an indulgent dessert…
- …But healthy-enough to consider them a nourishing, well-balanced and nutritious meal…
- …Low-calorie-enough to not have to worry about enjoying an extra piece… Or two…:)
- …But gooey and yummy enough to be craving more, please! 🙂
Healthy Paleo Sweet Potato Bars
- 3 large sweet potatoes steamed or baked and peeled
- 1/2 cup pitted dates soaked until soft
- 6 egg whites
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
Preheat your oven to 350F.
Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until everything is smooth and incorporated.
Bake for 40 minutes. Check your Blondies for doneness and if they are still too gooey inside for you, - bake for 5-10 minutes more. Enjoy!
Happy Fall!!! 🙂