As many of you must know (because there’s been so much buzz around it!), the famous Nordstrom Sale is going big! …And let’s face it: many of us are a bit psyched to get the best out of it. 🙂 Right? 🙂 Well, what can I say? I am not an exception when it comes to getting a few dream items for half of their regular price!
But after having spent more than a few $$ on more than a few unnecessary items I had to begin learning my lessons about what is OK to buy on sale, what’s actually a great idea to get on sale and what… well… What’s best to skip for good! (Unless of course you like feeling forever guilty!) 🙂 This is why it’s so important to have your own Sale Navigating Strategy!
Here’re a few things from the famous Nordstrom Sale that I have bought so far, will probably buy before the sale ends, and/or would buy if I didn’t have the same exact items in my closet:
What you should buy on sale:
- The classics! The wardrobe staples that you can wear today, or in 10 years because they never go out of style! Here’re a few examples: a classic pair of jeans, a black blazer, an LBD, a pair of black classically shaped shades, a classic satchel. Because no matter what, the only thing that matters when it comes to these items is their quality. And if the quality is great, why not save a few dollars on something that you’d buy anyway?
- Things that are just YOU. I believe that a woman should never limit herself to only wearing the classics. (It’s almost just as bad as only wearing what’s trending!). A truly stylish woman needs to have a few “signature” items that she just LOVES for whatever reason that might be. It could be a dress that fits your body-type perfectly, or a pair of earrings that makes you look so much prettier. It can also be something that you just ENJOY wearing, and will enjoy wearing even if it’s not trending anymore.
What’s OK to buy on sale:
- Things that will be trending in the nearest future that are FLATTERING for you at the same time.
- 1-2 items that you just WANT! Because it’s OK to treat yourself sometimes. 🙂
What’s best to skip:
- All the “hot” trending, but going out of season items. Because what’s the point in buying something that’s been trending this summer, if fall is just a few weeks away? You won’t be wearing these things in the fall. And next summer, guess what? These items will be “so last season”! Right? 🙂
Everything that’s just NOT YOU! Actually this applies to all the hot-trending things, too in my mind. Because no matter how trendy, cheap, or cool something is, if it doesn’t make you look better (and especially if it’s making you look worse!), why buy it in the first place?
And here’s my N’Sale Breakdown:
- Items 1-20: The classics. These are my must-haves items no matter when I buy them. In fact when one of these items gets stretched out or torn, I begin looking for the same exact item to replace it. I mean… you’ll ALWAYS need a good pair of jeans or a flattering LBD.
- Items 1-5: The things that are just “me” such as that tulle dress (because I am obsessed with all kinds of feminine flow fabrics), that pretty pink handbag (love it!), or that choker (because I just like how the chokers look on my neck!).
So… What do you think about all this? Have you ever bought something that you regretted buying later? Do you have your own favorite approach to navigating a sale? I’d love to hear all about it in the comments below! 🙂