How is your summer going? And… But any chance… Have you accidentally gained a few extra pounds over the summertime? Well, no matter what, and above all, I honestly hope that you FEEL GOOD and have been having lots of FUN!
BUT… I can say it for myself: I’ve GAINED WEIGHT! Yes, and I’ve mentioned it before about the summers (or maybe it’s just me?): the lack of a decent schedule plus the summer’s heat that makes me super-LAZY always make me gain a few extra pounds! (I actually gain more over the summer than I do over the Winter’s Holiday Season since at least then when it cools down outside I move around a lot!)
BUT… Although I’ve been sweating a lot from the heat 🙂 It’s summertime, right? I don’t sweat at all about those extra pounds! Why? No, it’s not because I don’t care about my appearance anymore. I do care… I want to look good… (yes, I’m kind of vain when it comes to this!) …It’s because I know that I don’t have to choose between not liking what I see in the mirror and having to torture myself to shed those extra pounds!
WHY? Well, remember my post with the recipe for a Super-Low-Calorie Healthy Breakfast Mousse where I’ve written a little about me handling the weighty issues?
This post is the next installment in the series of posts on dieting… So let me name this post…
A Breakfast for THOSE days when the number on your bathroom scale is suddenly HIGHER than you’d like it to be… Part II…
This remedy is the TOOL that puts me back on track and instantly makes me feel better by flushing all the unnecessary “junk” out of my body. And the best part about it? I actually INDULGE! And also it makes me think that I DO have a power over my own body!
First of all there is one thing that I want to disclaim:
I am a big disbeliever in juicing, crush-dieting, fad-dieting and alike! A Big-Time Disbeliever! It actually makes me sad that so many good people believe in these trends and begin experimenting on their poor bodies! And what happens then? They may end up with some serious health issues that’ll be much more stressful to deal with than a little extra weight! And so I am SCREAMING it out loud: Only Healthy is Beautiful!
But here is my secret (and I think SUPER-HEALTHY) tool:
It’s simple. On those mornings when I wake up and I just KNOW that I’m a slightly bigger than I’d like to be and I FEEL it that my body is kind of jammed with those unnecessary pounds… I ALWAYS, no matter what EAT BREAKFAST!
But not any kind of a breakfast… A SUPER-LOW-CALORIE breakfast, that is at the same time nutritious, high in protein, vitamins and minerals. AND All-Natural!
This Super-Low-Calorie Healthy Breakfast Mousse is one perfect option.
BUT… What if I don’t have the time in the morning to whip it all up? If the night before I know that the next morning I’ll have to rush out of the door (or wake up extra 30 minutes earlier which I’d rather not do to just make myself a proper breakfast)…
- Extra-Low Calorie (you only need a couple of tsp. of sugar to make it super-sweet! But if you want to lower its calorie-content even further you can use Erythritol, an all-natural, zero-calorie sweetener)
- 🙂 , 🙂 , 🙂
And with it there’s no “NO-TIME-FOR-A-HEALTHY-BREAKFAST” excuses for me!
I always include some fruit to my breakfast! Always! And it doesn’t have to be a high-calorie fruit (the relatively high-calorie mangoes or bananas for instance). It can be blueberries. Or strawberries. Or an apple. Or… My favorite fruit of choice is the watermelon! This light, fresh, sweet, and almost zero-calorie fruit helps me flush all that extra weight out of my body, hydrates me and indulges my sweet tooth too! Perfecto!
Healthy, Low-Calorie Breakfast Marshmallow Dessert
- 2 pasteurized egg whites
- 4 tsp sugar or erythritol*
- 1/2 packet powdered gelatin
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp water
- 2-3 tsp cocoa powder optional, if you are a chocoholic like me...
- Mix the gelatin, 2 tsp of sugar, water and lemon juice. Let stand for a few minutes to let gelatin dissolve.
- In a microwave or on the stove heat the gelatin mixture up to let the gelatin melt and dissolve completely. Be careful not to overheat because the mixture will be very thick (otherwise your dessert won't hold as well). Give it about 30 seconds in the microwave and 1-2 minutes over a low flame on the stove.
- Whip the egg whites until the soft peaks form and add the 2 tsp of sugar or erythritol (the sweetener helps whipping the whites). Whip until the egg whites are very stiff and fluffy.
- Slowly start pouring the gelatin mixture into the whipped whites being careful to pour it around the whisks, not straight on them. Whip for a minute or two to make sure that everything is incorporated.
- Fold in the vanilla extract and the cocoa powder if you'd like.
- Pour the egg white mixture into a mold or any kind of a bowl and put it in the fridge overnight.
- Wake up, take the dessert out of the fridge and... DIG IN!
* Erythritol is a zero-calorie sweetener that's completely natural. When I add it to my Marshmallow Dessert instead of sugar, I get the all-protein, indulgent, eat-all-you-want white cloudy dessert for breakfast with just a 30 calorie "price tag". But even if you decide not to experiment with the sweeteners or you just don't have erythritol (or you can also use xylitol) on hand, even when you go with the 4 tsp of sugar, they won't add that many calories to this dessert for you to worry about. And yes, I know that a regular merengue requires much more sweetener than that. But all that sugar is added there as a stabilizer for when you bake it. And I promise that just the 4 tsp. make the whipped whites taste sweet enough to totally "indulge"!